We're very excited to announced the top 20 songs in the running for the 2017 APRA Silver Scroll Award! It's a diverse list, crossing many genres, with well known names appearing alongside newcomers.
The 2017 APRA Silver Scroll Award Top 20 are:
- Close Your Eyes, by Bic Runga and Kody Nielson, (Bic Runga)
- Cold Steel, by Troy Kingi and Mara TK
- Don’t Worry ‘Bout It, by Kingdon Chapple-Wilson, (Kings)
- Green Light, by Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Jack Antonoff, and Joel Little, (Lorde)
- Hate Somebody by Nick Johnston, Philip Hadfield, Brent Harris, and Jonathan Lee (Cut Off Your Hands)
- Horizon, by Hannah Topp, (Aldous Harding)
- Hundred Waters, by Grayson Gilmour and Cory Champion, (Grayson Gilmour)
- If Only, by Te Karehana Toi, (Teeks)
- I Know Not Where I Stand, by Shayne P Carter
- Liability, by Ella Yelich-O’Connor and Jack Antonoff, (Lorde)
- Life of the Party, by Chelsea Jade Metcalf and Leroy James Clampitt, (Chelsea Jade)
- Little Did She Know, by INF aka Amon McGoram, SPYCC aka Daniel Latu, and SmokeyGotBeatz aka Isaiah Libeau, (SWIDT)
- Lucky Girl, by Amelia Murray and Gareth Thomas, (Fazerdaze)
- O Heathcote, by James Milne, (Lawrence Arabia)
- One and Only, by Brooke Singer, (French For Rabbits)
- Rainbow, by Louis Baker and Bradford Ellis, (Louis Baker)
- Richard, by Nadia Reid
- Sober, by Lydia Cole
- Sunday Best, by Seth Haapu
- Urutaa by Lewis de Jong, Henry de Jong, Ethan Trembath, (Alien Weaponry)
This Top 20 list was chosen from over 200 entries by a jury of 11 fellow songwriters who have all contributed greatly to NZ songwriting themselves. The jury for 2017 was Anji Sami (She’s So Rad/Sami Sisters), Buzz Moller (Voom), Chris van de Geer (Stellar, Bigpop Studios), Devin Abrams (Pacific Heights/Shapeshifter), Godfrey de Grut (Che Fu/The New Loungehead), Jane de Jong (Ruby Frost), Julia Deans, Hollie Fullbrook (Tiny Ruins), Phil Bell (DJ Sir-vere), Rob Ruha, Sandy Mill (SJD/The Bellbirds)
Widely considered the most prestigious accolade in New Zealand music, the APRA Silver Scroll Award recognises outstanding achievement in the craft of songwriting, and the responsibility now falls to APRA’s almost 10,000 New Zealand members to choose the best song of 2017.
All members are now invited to vote for the top five songs from this list of 20.
Past recipients of the esteemed award include a long list of iconic Kiwi music stalwarts - from Dave Dobbyn, Don McGlashan and Shona Laing to Neil Finn, Bic Runga, and Ray Columbus. They’re joined by a younger generation of music makers that include James Milne & Luke Buda, Ella Yelich-O’Connor (Lorde) & Joel Little, and Aaron Young, Alisa Xayalith & Thom Powers (The Naked and Famous).
The APRA Silver Scroll Award will be presented at Dunedin Town Hall in Dunedin on Thursday 28th September. The other awards presented on the night are:
- APRA Maioha Award, celebrating exceptional waiata featuring te reo
- SOUNZ Contemporary Award, celebrating excellence in contemporary composition
- APRA Best Original Music in a Feature Film Award
- APRA Best Original Music in a Series Award
As a part of the celebrations APRA will also be inducting a songwriter/s into the New Zealand Music Hall of Fame.