Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue

Don't leave money on the table - how to claim what's yours

Tip Published Thursday 15 February 2018

It is important that you register your works through the Writer Portal or the APRA AMCOS for Music Creators App, so that you can earn royalties for your songs.

Submit Performance Reports year-round, get paid quarterly. No more annual deadlines!

You can now register and upload jingles in the new Writer Portal.

New and longtime members alike, we've pulled together a quick refresher on claiming what's yours!

To make sure you get paid for your hard work, it is vital that you register your works via the Writer Portal and/or the app. Then we know it exists.

Writing with others? Read our guide to co-writing splits and registering works.

From there, depending on where and how your music gets used, we ask that you provide key details of certain activity. Bookmark our guides page, it's a treasure trove of resources, forms, and links covering important areas of music usage and performance.

Are you playing gigs at the local pub, touring outside of AU/NZ or anything in between?

If so, you can (and should!) submit Performance Reports and get paid for playing your original songs.

Is your music being used in an ad?

Upload it, report it, claim it.

  • Metro broadcast areas AU & NZ - you must upload your song. Whether it is a commercially-released song being used in an ad or music specifically made for an ad, it is considered a jingle.
  • Upload audio to the writer portal, this way we can identify and match it to what was broadcast.
  • Upload all versions of the music being used in the ad. Do not include audio with voice-over.
  • Upload to get paid quarterly:

    Performance Period

    Payment Date

    Audio uploaded by

    January - March


    End of February

    April - June


    End of May

    July - September


    End of August

    October - December


    End of November

  • Regional areas - you will need to self-report it
  • Overseas jingles - please complete the form

Is your track getting played at nightclubs?

Read our guide: How to get paid as a dance and electronic writer.

Upload it and claim it.

  • Register your works in the Writer Portal and/or app.
  • If you are playing your own works in a set - lodge your performance report online or via the app.
  • IMPORTANT: Register for DJ Monitor, our Music Recognition Technology service (similar to Shazam). This ensures your track can be accurately identified. Use your APRA AMCOS membership number to access the DJ Monitor Uploader Account.
  • Please ensure title, writer/composer, artist/performer, and ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) information is correctly labelled.
  • Get up to date on remixes.

Does a big (or small) company want to use your work for music on hold?

Claim it.

Are you an ambient composer selling music to therapists or other wellness businesses?

Report it, claim it.

  • Annual deadline is 31 Aug.

Is your work being used in some other kind of way?

Ask us. Claim it.

  • There are uses that get categorised as 'unlogged' - e.g. cinema promos, festival/art installation - that fall outside our usual distribution channels.
  • Log it and we will investigate if it can be claimed.

This article was updated in May 2024.