It’s our pleasure to announce the Top 20 finalists for the 2022 APRA Silver Scroll Award | Kaitito Kaiaka and the Top 5 finalists for the 2022 APRA Maioha Award. Member voting is now closed.
The Top 20 is decided by a specially curated panel of lauded songwriters, producers/composers and performers. This year, we had a wonderful panel of creators who spent a month listening to all 300+ entries and then joined an in-person meeting to discuss their top songs. Judging this year were: Anji Sami (She's So Rad), Boh Runga, Cass Basil (Tiny Ruins, King Sweeties), Deva Mahal, Gussie Larkin (Mermaidens, Earth Tongue), Haz Beats (Homebrew, Team Dynamite), Julien Dyne, J.Y Lee (Yoko-Zuna) Nadia Reid, Sam Taylor (Anthonie Tonnon, Nadia Reid), and Sam Trevethick (Shapeshifter, Sambora, Voices).
2022 APRA Silver Scroll Top 20
- 35 written by Rob Ruha, Kaea Hills, Te Amorutu Broughton, Ainsley Tai, Dan Martin, Whenua Patuwai, performed by Ka Hao and Rob Ruha
- Aho/Beams written by Anna Coddington*, Steph Brown, James Ikner**, performed by Anna Coddington* and Louis Baker (*published by Mushroom Music PTY LTD, **BMI)
- Andy written and performed by Emily C. Browning
- Ankle Deep written and performed by Christabel
- Best Behaviour written by Chelsea Jade and Tyler Spry*, performed by Chelsea Jade (*ASCAP)
- Beyond the Stars written by Tami Neilson and Delaney Davidson performed by Tami Neilson and Willie Nelson (Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- Bit Part written by Nicholas Cunningham and Dorian Noval, performed by TOOMS
- Find Me written by Muroki Mbote Wa Githinji and Josh Fountain* performed by Muroki (*Universal Music Publishing PTY LTD)
- Garden of Eden written and performed by Ny Oh
- Girl At Night written by Natalie Hutton, Minnie Robberds, Joel Becker, Angus Murray, performed by There’s A Tuesday (Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- He Ōrite written by Troy Kingi*, Iraia Whakamoe, Ryan Prebble, James Coyle, performed by Troy Kingi and The Nudge (*LOOP Publishing Limited/Kobalt Music Publishing)
- I Got You written by Georgia Lines*, Jason Schoushkoff performed by Georgia Lines (*Peer Music obo Koze Music Publishing)
- I’m A Bit Out Of Shape written and performed by Luke Buda (Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- Iris written and performed by Reb Fountain (Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- Lawn written and performed by Aldous Harding (BMG Rights Management)
- My Boy written and performed by Marlon Williams (Native Tongue Music Publishing)
- My Heart Never Sleeps written by Stephen Atutolu aka Diggy Dupé, P. Smith aka Troy Kingi*, Joel Tashkoff aka choicevaughan, performed by Diggy Dupé and Troy Kingi (*LOOP Publishing Limited/Kobalt Music Publishing)
- Not Today written by Steph Brown and James Ikner*, performed by Lips (*BMI)
- Peacetime Orders written by Anthonie Tonnon and Jonathan Pearce performed by Anthonie Tonnon
- Taku Raumiri written by Herea Winitana, Turanga Merito, performed by Uru Whetu, Torere, Te Aroha
The Top 5 finalists for the 2022 APRA Maioha Award were decided by a panel of well-known and respected industry figures who have a good understanding of the waiata reo Māori landscape. Judging this year were Matai Smith (Tūranga FM), Nadia Marsh (Te Māngai Pāho), Ngatapa Black (songwriter, presenter), and Tama Waipara (Tairāwhiti Arts Festival Director, vocalist).
2022 APRA Maioha Award Top 3 finalists
- Te Aroha Mauroa written by Mohi Allen and Dan Martin and performed by MOHI
- Rangatira/Owner written and performed by Ria Hall translated by Teraania Ormsby (published by LOOP Publishing Limited/Kobalt Music Publishing)
- E Hine Ē written by Em-Haley Walker, performed by TE KAAHU
- Te Iho written by Aja Ropata, Byllie-Jean, Chris Wethey performed by AJA & Byllie-Jean
- Taera written by Rob Ruha, Rory Noble*, performed by Rob Ruha (*published by Universal Music Publishing)
Voting closes midnight Thursday 11 August.
For more information on how the finalists are chosen go here.
The 2022 APRA Silver Scroll Awards ceremony will be held at Spark Arena, Tāmaki Makaurau on Tuesday 18th October. This will be the first full-scale event in 3 years so we are very excited get together to celebrate Aotearoa music, waiata, and composition.
Artwork designed by Miriama Grace-Smith
With thanks to Hallertau Brewery