Not a member yet? Join APRA AMCOS

Already started a Writer Member application? Continue

Distribution information guide: Fitness

This information guide explains how the licence fees we collect from fitness businesses – including gyms, yoga & Pilates classes, fitness trainers, and wellbeing instructors - are paid out as royalties.

Where does the money come from?

APRA AMCOS collects licence fees from Australian and New Zealand gyms and fitness centres.

What information does APRA AMCOS use to determine who should be paid?

APRA AMCOS licenses fitness businesses for three main uses of music: music in fitness classes, music outside of fitness classes, and digital copy/delivery of music for those first two uses. All licence fees are distributed using analogous data sources.

APRA - music in fitness classes:
38% of these licence fees are distributed based on music reports received from providers of fitness programs. Of the remaining 62% of these fees, half are distributed across our radio royalty distribution pools, and half to a weighted aggregate pool of music streamed on the largest digital music services.

APRA - music outside of fitness classes (e.g. played as background music in gym including television screens):
all licences fees for this use of music are distributed to music sources received separately by APRA, 50% according to free-to-air television broadcast data, 25% to radio broadcast data and 25% to music streaming data.

AMCOS - digital copy/delivery:
Where businesses use their own music devices, an AMCOS licence is required to authorise the use of music in a non-domestic environment. Licence fees are distributed to music streaming data.

How are songs matched to the data APRA AMCOS receives?

The records provided by providers of fitness programs are directly matched to the vast repertoire of songs in our database. For all analogous royalty distributions (i.e. radio, TV, streaming), the song matching process takes place within those distribution pools according to the rules for that source.

Key terms used in our Distribution Rules and Practices document

The Copyright Act refers to compositions, musical scores in the form of sheet music, broadsheets or other notation as musical works. Lyrics or words to a song are considered literary works. When we refer to songs, we are referring to all the elements of a musical/literary work protected by copyright.

Royalties are distributed via distribution pools (or by copying datasets) that are most similar in terms of a licensee’s music content. This method is used when Direct Allocation or Sample reporting is impractical.